Acupressure Therapy was known in India even 5000 years ago, unfortunately, it was not preserved properly and went to Sri Lanka (Ceylon) in the form of Acupuncture. From Sri Lanka, this therapy was taken to China and Japan by Buddhist monks or nomadic Aryans took it there and at present China is teaching Acupuncture to the world. This therapy was known to Red Indians way back in the sixteenth century. In the twentieth century, researches have been made in USA which has contributed greatly to the development of this therapy. It is practiced by many allopathic and naturopathic doctors there, now the World Health Organization, too has paid attention to this simple and easy therapy.
The word "Acupressure" is related to "Acupuncture." Acu mean a needle and Puncture means to pierce. Acupuncture means the art of treating diseases by piercing specific points in the body. Acupressure means the art of treating diseases by applying pressure on specific points with the help of one's thumb, figure or jimmy (wooden or rubber stick).
The purpose of Acupressure is to promote the body's own healing power. When key acupressure points on the surface of skin are pressed, muscular tension is released, and the circulation of blood and the body vital life energy, which the Chinese call "chi" energy, is promoted. Acupressure can be used to treat numerous conditions; among them are effects of daily stress, headaches, neck and shoulder pain, aches and pains, allergies, menstrual difficulties, fatigue, anxiety and back pain etc.
Acupressure should not be used for certain conditions that requires medical care, such as serious as serious burns, ulcers or infections. Caution should be taken with the use of abdominal pressure points, especially when the patient is sick and the abdominal area is to be avoided when the patient has a life threatening illness, such as intestinal cancer or a pregnancy.
Acupressure uses pressure usually applied with the thumb, fingers or acupressure device called jimmy. The blockage of energy along these meridians can cause physically discomfort, pain, tension and stress. The stimulation points removes blockage by relaxing muscles, and allowing blood to flow more freely. It can also free an emotional block by releasing accumulated tension. The pressure may also release lactic acid that accumulates in muscle tissues. Lactic acid is produced by muscles during vigorous exercise, and it is usually removed from the blood by the liver. It can however accumulate in the muscle. In the west, the various systems of acupressure are in use today including:
- Acu-Yoga: A system of whole body stretches and Yoga postures that press and activate points on the meridian channels.
- Jin Shin Jyutsu: A system of self help acupressure that involves gentle touching of the body rather than massage likes movements.
- Do-In: A system of self acupressure, which involves massaging meridian points and muscles and also includes deep breathing and exercises movements and stretching.
- Shiatsu: A vigorous technique that involves rhythmic pressing of acupressure points.
During acupressure light to medium pressure is applied on acupressure points and it is rotated in a tight circle. Primarily, this is done with the fingers, thumbs and hands. Sometimes the elbows or knees are used for key pressure points. Since the most reactive points are tender or sensitive when pressed, this response helps to determine the right location. If the response cannot be felt, the pressure point location may not be correct or the pressure may not be strong enough. The sensation felt during an acupressure treatment should fall some-where between pleasure and pain.
Three-Fold Benefits of Acupressure:
- Diagnosis: Instant and proper diagnosis - medical checkup without any tests.
- Cure: Cure of all types of diseases including that of cancer/brain problems.
- Prevention: Prevention of all types of diseases includes heart problem, paralysis and even cancer.
From The View Point of Health the World Could Be Divided Into:
- About 60% - those people (including those to be born) who are healthy but liable to catch diseases. With the regular acupressure treatment, their illness can be prevented.
- About 25% - Those people who are suffering at present can be cured without much cost with the help of this science and prevented from falling ill again.
- About 15% - Who requires medical help, medicine and surgery. There are enough practitioners and hospitals in the world that can take care of these people. Afterwards they can also be prevented from falling ill with the use of Acupressure Therapy.
Risks: While acupressure can be used in combination with other forms of therapy, it should not be used as a replacement for necessary traditional medical treatment.